Social Icons

Monday, January 28, 2013

Factors Paper by Cancer buster

Entrepreneurship
MBAH H04
Factors Paper
cancerbuster

The totality of a person depends on the different characteristics he possesses including physical, emotional, spiritual, psychological and physiological make up. It should not only include one's persona but the inner nature of one's self as well. Entrepreneurship as defined in Entrepreneur Philippines is the practice of starting new organizations or revitalizing mature organizations. It entails a lot of hard work and oftentimes involves difficult tasks at hand. Hence, being an entrepreneur needs a lot of guts and determination to make the new business thrives. Doctors can also become good entrepreneurs. We just need to arm ourselves with good education, coupled with a good guidance, proper mind setting and relatively some instincts. Many factors to be an entrepreneur are the character traits we also see among leaders.
The essence of being a good entrepreneur revolves within the character of the person, how he deals with people and his ability to conceptualize an idea into reality. There are several factors to be considered when going into entrepreneurship. I have them listed down here and reflect my own ability if I can be an entrepeneur in the near future.

Physical attributes. A business establishment looks better if people on the job looks nice and proper. It is usually a come-on to customers if the entrepreneur is good looking. However, this good attribute should be coupled with good attitude to entice possible stockholders and customers as well. My physical features is not bad at all. I have a fair complexion (thanks to my sister's invention of a papaya soap), have been wearing a long hair as long as I can remember, with an average Filipino height and a normal body mass index (had been walking or running at BGC when time allows me). Actually, my first consideration for specialty training was Dermatology and I was suppose to apply in its residency training program but then I was immediately hired in Obstetrics and Gynecology hence my career was shifted totally to maternal health.

Decision making. An entrepreneur needs benchmarking of his business whether it is a product or a customer service that he tries to conceive. Proper and on time decisions must be made to make it work. He must stay on top of the situation and look at new perspectives relevant to the industry. This is probably the most difficult task an entrepreneur faces, making decisions to keep the business ahead of the others. It was noted during my psychometric examination that I have a relatively stable adjustment, quite idealistic but sometimes prone towards disillusionment. It was also mentioned that I dont lose my footing even when the odds are against me and I try to assess matters objectively to adequately steer clear of the stumbling blocks along my path. As such, I dont make decisions when I'm happy, sad or when my emotions are high. This usually results in decisions that are not appropriate when later reviewed. Thus, I always make them when in in neutral mode.

Maintain focus on your mission. Every organization has its own mission-vision statement which becomes the ultimate goal of its people. Hence, strategic planning is critical to the success of the business which is centered on this statement. According to Jain, entrepreneurs should focus intensely on opportunities and concentrate on doing a few things very well rather than doing too many things at the same time. According to my psychometric evaluation, I am much committed to duty and desires precision, very meticulous and methodical in my approach to anything. When in action, considerable attention is given to details, second thoughts must be applied before putting things in order and being prompt enables me to expend my time and effort wisely to assure both quality and quantity. Being the training officer of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology of Valenzuela Medical Center, these traits should be put in place to maintain high standard of training of our residents.

Be flexible but persistent. Agility is one of the many traits of a good entrepreneur. As new information comes in quickly these days, the ability to adapt to situations is a must. Again, even in the very fast pace of life, entrepreneurs must be committed to the mission of the business as told by Jain. Persistence can be rewarding because sometime success comes after a failure. I have a passive aggressive type of personality. I am shy and aloof at times and able to relate only on limited terms with some difficulty to initiate contact. But then, I try to get along well with others in order to prevent isolation. I then met a very out going and emotional person, has shown me how to be more assertive and I tried to be more open to conversations and discussions. And ever since I've enrolled for my masteral, slowly I've overcome this difficulty and probably in time, I will more conversant and well versed. I'm quite persistent to do things that should be done especially those that are required on time.

Long Term Orientation. An entrepreneur should balance his firm's immediate needs with a long term program. The strategic focus of the company should always be what the long term plan should be which defines the ability of the company to sustained its product or service in the very competitive world. Every entrepreneur wants to have a successful business. And looking far beyond should be the ultimate goal. It has been said time and time again that being a doctor is a noble profession. One has to spend 20 years of schooling, another 3 to 4 years for residency training and another 1 to 3 years for fellowhip training. The long period of idleness makes doctors mature later and start a career way behind their counterparts. However, time has changed and more doctors have engaged to business early or start a family earlier than usual. After a total of 28 years of schooling and training, I am now an Obstetrician and Gynecologic Oncologist. And being a public servant (DOH doctor) is both rewarding and frustrating. Rewarding because I am able to save a lot of lives even without any monetary gain and frustrating because I can only do that much to help patients who are economically deprived to continue with their treatment.

Enjoy the job and the journey. Each of us works hard to attain our goals. Along the road to success, we need to celebrate achievements whether minute or large. We will never know when to reach our destination but enjoying the journey is much better than waiting for it to come. For every milestone I attained throughout my career, I've always celebrated it either a simple get together dinner with my family, dinner with friends and sometimes a lavish dinner in the hotel with either family or friends. It is such a wonderful feeling to share your blessings with others and be reminded that everything I have, I owe to to the people around me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment