Social Icons

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Buying a business is like analyzing, reviewing a strama paper.

Every generation needs a revolution - an entrepreneurial revolution

Rizal Philippines
August 21, 2016.

Everything is so sudden. While I do not have the formal mandate yet that I would be an executive director of a holding company, a thick folder was sent to me to study the viability of buying a school.  (Elem to Senior High School)   There was a communication that contains a letter of intent to sell and the suggested closing is end of the month.

I reviewed the documents and found out that most of the information are for a loan transaction:  appraisal of the real property and FS (which I think looked funny)  If ever there is a valuation report, it has to be valuation of the business based on the FS?  They do not add up. Well the FS shows a school that is losing money.

If the purpose of the exercise is to buy the business, a lot more data is needed.  It is like a strama paper.   The objectives have to be defined and the strategy of how to make the school profitable, how to achieve ROI has to be defined.  A due diligence study has to be made before cogent decision can be made.

I did not realize that I am comfortable and at home in this kind of work.

These are the excerpts of my thoughts/communication to the Chairman of the Holding company:


0 comments:

Post a Comment